Situation: One of my servers is located at my home. It’s connected to the internet via two different interfaces at the same time:
- Physical Interface: Connected to Deutsche Telekom ISP via DSL / landline.
- Virtual Wireguard VPN interface: Connected to one of my data center servers, has a public IPv6 address.
The “data center server” acts as a gateway for my home server and routes a static IPv6 address to it. This setup lets me reach my home server via a static and public IP address, although my DSL provider does not assign a static IPv6 subnet to my landline. (But that is subject to another story … ;-) ).
After finishing the setup, I ran into the problem of asymmetric routing: Packets addresses to my static IPv6 address (and thus routed via the Wireguard VPN) did arrive at my home server, but the response packets were not send back the same way: They were routed via my Deutsche Telekom landline and therefore originated from another source IP address, which the original requester did not expect.
A few days ago I noticed that I could not use my OPNsense firewall as a SSH jump host to my other servers. I’m not sure how long this issue has existed, or if it has always existed, but since I’ve had IPv6 connectivity after a long time of IPv4-only internet, I could definitely feel the consequences.
ssh root@opnsense worked perfectly,
ssh -6 root@opnsense failed with a timeout. Verbose output of the
ssh command showed that the client was trying to access the correct IPv6 address of my firewall, but obviously it did not receive any response.
It happened again - this time on my Fedora machine! I ended up with a laptop that won’t boot after some package changes. Last time that happened was ~ 4 years ago when Arch Linux could not decrypt my main partitions due to some changes on a crypto library. This time the accident was caused by a simple
I intended to remove dangling packages from my system - expecting my package manager to know which packages are needed and which not. Unfortunately some really important packages (amongst some legacy packages) were removed. My laptop was not even able to start any boot loader - it booted straight to the device diagnosis application that the hardware manufacturer ships.